Wednesday, May 16, 2018

EVERLESS by Sara Holland

Rating: A
Synopsis:
In the land of Sempera, time is extracted from blood and used as payment. Jules Ember and her father were once servants at Everless, the wealthy Gerling family’s estate, but were cast out after of a fateful accident a decade ago. Now, Jules’s father is reaching his last hour, and she will do anything to save him. Desperate to earn time, she arrives at the palace as it prepares for a royal wedding, ready to begin her search into childhood secrets that she once believed to be no more than myths. As she uncovers lost truths, Jules spirals deeper into a past she hardly recognizes, and faces an ancient and dangerous foe who threatens her future and the future of time itself.

My thoughts on the book:
I'm going to be honest here... I put off reading this book for a long time because my dad as sick for 5 months (in the hospital the entire time) and died on January 9, 2018. I just didn't know how I would handle a book about a dying dad. Therefore, it took me longer to read and review this novel than it normally would have. My grief is still there, of course, but it's more under control now, so I felt brave enough to attempt reading this book, and I'm so glad I did. There isn't a ton of focus on the dad's condition, so it didn't crush my soul, and this is one of the best novels I've read in a long time. I couldn't put it down. I was up until 3am reading, and I haven't done that in forever. I couldn't stop reading until I found out Jules' secrets, though. 

The characters in this novel are heartbreakingly wonderful. They are richly painted and easy to relate to. While some are more privileged than others, none has a perfect life. Jules, our main character, has had a rough time, and things just seem to keep getting worse for her. For the most part, Jules is a fantastic leading heroine. She is strong, resilient, determined, focused, and cares about the people around her. Her faults (and let's face it, we all have them) are that she's stubborn and doesn't always listen to people who know more about a situation than she does. In her defense, she really had no idea what was going on for the majority of the novel, and the big reveal shocked me (that doesn't happen often). In her position, I can't say that I would have done things very differently. My main problem with her is her wishy washy feelings about one character. It made her seem like she lacked depth, and I would have liked to have seen her reactions go a bit differently. My favorite male character is Liam, and I can't wait to find out more about him. 

The writing is beautifully done, and I could picture the world that Holland created perfectly in my head. The world-building is top notch; this is a complicated universe, and I felt like I had a good understanding of it after reading this first novel. I know it has more mysteries, but I didn't feel lost like I do in some fantasy novels. The plot is intricately woven and unravels at the perfect pace. I was kept on the edge of my seat about something throughout the whole book. I don't understand why a couple of things had to happen at the end of the first book, but I'm interested to see how that sets up book number two in the series. For now, I'm trusting that Holland knows best and there is a reason behind everything that happened in those last few chapters. 

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking for a unique fantasy novel. I have never read a book quite like it. The world is one-of-a-kind, and the characters are relatable. Like I said when I started this review, I read this novel in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. Give Everless a try. You won't be sorry. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the intriguing cover and I am always on the lookout for an original story. Great review.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!