Saturday, August 11, 2012

INBETWEEN by Tara Fuller

Inbetween
Tara Fuller

Rating: B-
Release Date: 8/28/12
Synopsis from goodreads.com:
Since the car crash that took her father’s life three years ago, Emma’s life has been a freaky — and unending — lesson in caution. Surviving “accidents” has taken priority over being a normal seventeen-year-old, so Emma spends her days taking pictures of life instead of living it. Falling in love with a boy was never part of the plan. Falling for a reaper who makes her chest ache and her head spin? Not an option.It’s not easy being dead, especially for a reaper in love with a girl fate has put on his list not once, but twice. Finn’s fellow reapers give him hell about spending time with Emma, but Finn couldn’t let her die before, and he’s not about to let her die now. He will protect the girl he loves from the evil he accidentally unleashed, even if it means sacrificing the only thing he has left…his soul. 

My thoughts on the book:
Inbetween is a cute and sweet YA paranormal romance. This book is a lighthearted and quick read, and fans of the genre will devour it in one sitting. The characters are likable and the plot is quick moving. However, there is no mystery to the book whatsoever. Everything was spelled out clearly from the beginning, and that lack of suspense made me have lukewarm feelings for this book. That being said, this is an enjoyable read, and I'll definitely read the next book in the series.

The POV for this novel is first person, and it alternates between Emma and Finn. Emma is a likable, albeit boring character. I couldn't help but want the best for her, but she never did anything exciting. She didn't make any grand sacrifice, and she didn't really fight for much. Overall, she was a rather boring heroine. Finn is also likable, but he at least stands up for what he wants. He's a bit self-deprecating and a little angsty, but it isn't too overwhelming. He, too, doesn't have any grand ideas about anything, and he pretty much just focuses on his love/obsession for Emma and nothing else. Like I said, this is a lighthearted romance. No thinking is required to enjoy this book.

The secondary characters are interesting, and I would have loved the chance to get to know Easton, Anaya, and Cash better. They seemed much more interesting than Emma and Finn, and I hope that in the next installment, we get more of their stories.

The plot is fast moving, and even though it revolves around Emma and Finn's love, I was never bored. The bad guy is apparent from the beginning, but you never knew when tragedy would strike. I didn't have a feeling of suspense because I always knew who was doing the attacking. This caused me to get complacent and not really care when Emma was being attacked. A bit of mystery would have done this book some good. The ending ties everything up nicely, but leaves room for a sequel, either with Emma and Finn, or with other characters. I kind of hope that the next book focuses on some of the secondary characters because they were more interesting.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a light YA paranormal romance read. This book would be perfect to read on vacation when you're trying to relax.

Pre-order Inbetween today!



4 comments:

  1. Good review! Glad you liked it for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm! I'm a little disappointed about your B-. Anyway I must receive the book very soon and I'll check for myself. I like your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bummed that it's not a A rating but I'm still looking forward to it. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read a book about reapers. But the summary for Inbetween sounds really interesting, so I'm looking forward to reading it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments, and I also try to always return the favor! Thanks for stopping by!